The 7-11 Strategy for Maternal and Child Health
Nearly 5.9 million children under the age of five and 303,000 women are dying from preventable causes each year.
World Vision focuses on three essential outcomes that achieve our goal to improving the health and nutrition of women and children in areas where we work, contributing to reduction of under five and maternal mortality:
- Mothers and children are well nourished.
- Mothers and children are protected from infection and disease.
- Mothers and children access essential health services.
World Vision is committed to sustainable health by working at household, community and national levels. Click for more info: 'The 360 Degrees' of Support
Our Core Interventions
Our strategy focuses on evidence-based, cost-effective preventive practices that address the primary causes of maternal and child mortality and illness. Our core emphasis is on pregnant women, newborns and children under the age of two because the greatest burden of mortality, illness and undernutrition lies in these groups.
The 7 Core Interventions for the Mother
- FAQ's on General Nutrition
- Intervention 1: Adequate Diet
- Intervention 2: Iron/Folate Supplements and Deworming
- Intervention 3: Infectious Diseases prevention: Tetanus Toxoid Immunization, PMTCT of HIV and STI, TB screening
- Intervention 4: Malaria Prevention, Treatment access and Intermittent Preventive Treatment
- Intervention 5: Healthy timing and spacing of pregnancy
- Intervention 6: Birth Preparedness (includes preventing postpartus haemorrhage using misoprostol)
- Intervention 7: Facilitate Access to Quality Maternal Health Services: antenatal and postnatal care, skilled birth attendance
The 11 Core Interventions for the Child
- Intervention 1: Appropriate Breastfeeding
- Intervention 2: Essential Newborn Care (includes Chlorhexidine for umbilical cord care)
- Intervention 3: Adequate diet (includes Appropriate Complementary Feeding and Vitamin A Supplementation
- Intervention 4: Adequate Iron
- Intervention 5: Full Immunization for Age
- Intervention 6: Hand Washing with Soap
- Intervention 7: Oral Rehydration Therapy(ORT)/Zinc
- Intervention 8: Prevention and Care Seeking for Malaria and Prevention and Care Seeking for Acute Respiratory Infection
- Intervention 9: Prevention and Care Seeking for Acute malnutrition
- Intervention 10: Prevention and Care Seeking for Paediatric HIV (includes ARV and co-trimoxazole prophylaxis)
- Intervention 11: De-Worming (+12 Months)
- Other: Birth Registration
Supporting Mothers in the First 1,000 Days
For a comprehensive look at our strategy and implementation, please read more in our 7-11 Start-up Field Guide.
Facilitator's Guide to 7-11 Health Information (Field Test Version: 7-11 Q&A)
Download our Strategy Overview 1-Pager
For more information on the 7-11 Health Strategy, please feel free to contact:
Sarah Crass, Knowledge Management Advisor